Monday, September 3, 2012

Disney Countdown: 17 Weeks, 17 Memories

It's time for another installment of my Disney Countdown.  17 weeks to go.

Today I have another confession for you all.  I have been to Disney World many times in my life (Thanks for those all those nights where you drove all night 30 hours straight from Connecticut so we could wake up in Disney World, Dad!)  But, as I realized when I was planning our last trip, even when I went as a teenager, I had never been on The Haunted Mansion!

When I realized this fact, I was actually really surprised.  How could I never have been on the ride that is so loved by Disney-goers that it has its own outside website?  I was an easily scared child (seriously- the Disney version of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow used to give me nightmares....for months) so I can only imagine that my parents avoided this ride when I was little because they imagined hauling their traumatized daughter out of the park wailing and refusing to ride even Living with the Land or Dumbo the Flying Elephant ever again for fear of ghosts coming out of somewhere. I don't know if they've ever ridden it either, it seems like a risk they just weren't willing to take.

And later, planning a trip as an adult, I realized that Haunted Mansion was the lowest on my list of priorities, and then that made me a little sad; like I was missing out on some great Disney history.  So, I made it one of our first priorities of the day, and I was glad we did.  Sure it's campy, and sure the "special effects" are not as advanced as, say, a  certain wizard ride at Universal Studios, but it was still a ride we had a great time riding.  And a ride I would certainly make a point of lining up to ride again.

And I didn't have a single nightmare after riding it.  Not one.


No comments:

Post a Comment